Anyone who has written on a dry-erase board before knows it is more than just a presentation board. A glossy dry-erase board replaced the need for messy, dirty chalkboards. It combines durability, style, and functionality without compromising one over the other. The simple but elegant look of a whiteboard makes it a great choice for both modern and traditional décors. Traditional whiteboards are created from mixed wood pressboards, chemicals and glues.
Their outer coat consists of some further chemicals that give them a high gloss finish and a static property. Not only are these boards bad for the environment, but the chemical coating can cause scratches that attract bacteria if not properly cleaned. Besides being a healthy and environmentally-sound alternative, a glass dry erase board is almost indestructible. Unlike a conventional whiteboard which eventually stains and ghosts, a glass dry wipe board will not stain, streak, or ghost.
What’s more, you have a number of options for dry-erase boards to choose from, including size, color, finish, format, and template. You can go for one with a magnetic surface for added benefits or pass this all together. If you have space limitations, grab a portable whiteboard with wheels or a smaller one that won’t cramp your space. However, with the endless options to choose from, there’s a need to choose the right glass dry erase board from the get-go. This is especially true if you are planning to order a custom glass whiteboard online. In this guide, we will tell you some of the things to consider before making such a purchase.
What is a Dry Erase Board?
A dry erase board, also known as a whiteboard or dry-wipe board, is a smooth, glossy surface used for non-permanent markings. The surface, made of a non-porous material, utilizes special markers that allow for rapid erasing and marking. Essentially, the material helps keep the ink from being absorbed by the board. The marker itself contains a solvent (usual alcohol), which ensures the ink attaches on the surface and dries quickly. A polymer silicone keeps the pigment from being in contact with the whiteboard’s surface.
A dry-erase board is a multi-purpose tool in classrooms, hospitals, offices, and homes. It is analogous to a conventional chalkboard which in itself, comes with a few health and convenience challenges. You can easily write, draw, and erase the board to start over. Apart from being used for presentations in classrooms and boardroom offices, dry wipe boards can be used for schedules and reminders at home. There are different materials used to make a dry erase board such as melamine, porcelain, glass, and EVER white. The most preferred material is glass or porcelain for the reason that the markings can be completely erased. The others often leave streaks after some time.
Why a Glass Whiteboard?
Buying a glass whiteboard board is actually a great investment. Granted, many people are concerned about the practicality of having a glass whiteboard in class, office, or home. They especially worry about its durability vis its cost. If you fit the description, you might benefit from learning about some of the advantages of a clear glass dry erase board:
- Durability: a glass whiteboard is one of the strongest glass surfaces out there. For one, it is made from tempered glass which is ten times stronger than ordinary glass. Apart from using strong glass, a glass pen board utilizes sturdy standoffs to hold the board in place.
- Ease of installation: Contrary to common belief, a glass whiteboard doesn’t need several strong hands to lift it. An averagely-sized board needs only about two people to install it for approximately fifteen minutes.
- Easy to clean: Compared to traditional presentation boards, glass dry-erase boards are completely non-porous. This makes them incredibly easy to clean. No matter how long you use your board, expect no staining and ghosting.
- Elegance: a glass whiteboard has the power to add a modern touch of elegance to your space. Not only is a glass whiteboard frameless, but there are also many color options to choose from.
- Enhances organization: With a magnetic glass erase board, you can keep all your documents, markers, notes, and presentations in one place. This is an awesome feature when compiling schedules, ideas, and receipts in a single board.
The only disadvantage with glass boards is that they are quite pricey compared to conventional whiteboards. However, they are worth every penny. It might dig a hole in your pocket in the beginning but knowing you can pass it down to other generations makes everything worthwhile. Furthermore, you can order a custom dry-erase board befitting your needs for an even better experience.
Tips on Buying Custom Glass
The ideal glass whiteboard will vary based on your location and intended use. There are plenty of features of glass boards in the market today so it is in order to know what you are looking for. For instance, if you need a dry-erase board for your kitchen, your choice will not be equal to that of a classroom setting. Here are a few things to keep in mind before ordering a custom glass whiteboard.
First off, you’ll need to know the size of the dry-erase board that’ll fit in your space. Measure the space you intend to hang the whiteboard and determine the right size for it. Custom glass whiteboards come in all sizes so you will have an easy time finding the exact fit for your space. Standard glass boards are sometimes limiting on this stance. Similarly, if you plan on moving your board around for presentations, you need to know the right size befitting your needs. Portable dry-wipe boards also come in different sizes. In this case, consider the specific areas you intend on moving the board and buy the right size. Some of the custom sizes of glass boards available range from 18” x 24” through 48” x 96”.
2. Mount or stand
The second important factor to think about when it comes to a glass whiteboard is whether you want a wall-mounted or a mobile one.
- Mounted: These are ideal for permanent uses such as classrooms, hospitals, and office boardrooms. Most of these establishments have large enough walls to accommodate a mounted glass board. Not only are they permanent, but they also save on space as they don’t use any floor space. If you intend to use a whiteboard for your kitchen, a small mounted board is a good option.
- Mobile: Mobile or stand whiteboards take up more floor space compared to mounting options. However, they are great learning tools when there’s a need to change the venue from time to time. Just like the wall-mounted varieties, mobile glass dry-erasers come in different sizes. This makes it easy for you to find the right one for your needs. The other advantage of this type of glass board is that most are reversible which means you can write on both sides.
3. Glass types
In a bid to make presentations fun and convenient, many whiteboard companies have found creative ways to add interactive features to their boards. Now, opaque glass isn’t the only option for you when it comes to a glass board. Here are other glass types available.
- Neon black: neon black resembles the original chalkboard albeit with all the features of any other glass whiteboard. Its wonderful contrast with neon markers makes it a great option to consider when creating menus and signage.
- Frosted glass: this features a semi-transparent look that helps focus attention away from the wall to the whiteboard. If you are looking for a glass pen board that doubles up as a design element and presentation board, frosted glass is an ideal option.
- White: this is the most common type of glass whiteboard in most classrooms, hospitals, and offices. It is a perfect alternative to the conventional whiteboard as it offers health and environmental benefits.
- Back-painted: some glass whiteboard companies now offer custom coloring and back-painting options for their clear boards. These are great if you want some fun and pop of color in your space.
- Opaque glass: this needs no introduction. A nice clear glass whiteboard will give your office or home a modern and fresh look. It also keeps your walls looking neat and clean when the board is empty.
As mentioned before, glass dry-wipe boards are quite expensive compared to other materials. For obvious reasons, the more the added features, the higher the price tag. For instance, a magnetic board will cost you more than a non-magnetic option. Similarly, back-painted or frosted glass is more expensive than clear or opaque glass. Expectedly, size also matters when it comes to a glass whiteboard. A smaller board will not set you back financially as much as a bigger one would.
5. Magnetic or non-magnetic?
Last but not least, you need to decide if you want your transparent dry-erase board to be magnetic or non-magnetic. Basically, a magnetic board consists of a layer of steel metal on its surface. The steel, located behind the thin plastic attracts magnets to it. These are great if you want to stick a number of items on your whiteboard. Magnetic boards come in varied sizes and colors and can be screened with calendars and grids. They find uses in hospital reception areas, personal studies, the office, and classrooms. A non-magnetic board is made from clear, frosted, or back-painted tempered glass so it’s relatively strong. Compared to a non-magnetic board, a magnetic option is sturdier and more functional.
Whiteboards have come a long way since their inception in the early 1960s. The current workable trend is the crisp, glossy, and smooth glass whiteboard. Alongside, offering a better presentation experience, a glass dry-wipe board is insanely beautiful. It can make your space from boring to exquisite in minutes. Fab Glass and Mirror is one online seller that you can trust to get your quality glass boards. The seller ensures that you get a glass board of your desired shape and color. The seller allows you to personalize the requirements of your glass boards without having to visit the store physically.